Saturday, October 23, 2010

22.

22. That is the number of days a month that you, me and your dad hang out pretty much all day. As I wrote to you before, I started a part time work schedule. I work from 6-10am Monday through Friday. I get up early everyday (the downside) and you and your dad hangout until I get home about about 10:15am. I love this because both your dad & I feel really fulfilled. He loves his morning with you, but when I get home, he is free to go the gym, work in the yard or we all just snuggle around in the living room playing on the floor. SInce I started this schedule, neither of us has felt burned out at all. When your dad's days to work come around (he works 48 hours with 96 hours off), I am ready for him to leave! I love him of course, but by then I am ready for some space. He gets time with the guys at work and I get mommy and me time with you. By the time your dad comes home is really missing you and cannot wait for some daddy and baby time.

I feel so lucky that this is our life. However, we have worked really hard to make things this way. When your dad was working as a resident firefighter making $500 month and I was scraping by starting out my own career, we would sometimes think it would be better if he just got a 9-5. But I remember him saying (even as a 19 year old) that he did not want his babies in daycare all day and he wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. We have been planning for this life for nearly 10 years. When we were 16 and 17, we were already planning. I know we are unique and most families do not get to spend so much time together but I hope you remember that your life is the sum total of your choices. I will work hard to help you make smart ones from the start.

Here you are with your papa. Who is absolutely crazy about you, by the way.

2 comments:

  1. Aw! This was such a nice post. It's nice to see the sum of our hard work and planning, isn't it? Sounds like this schedule works out really well for the three of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cute letter. That so great that your schedule works that way...when I have kiddies I'm hoping I'll be able to work from home during their nap times/evening time!

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete