Monday, July 7, 2014

Brave girls.

When I was growing up, I was always outside. Shortly after my 8th birthday, my mom bought me a dog and he and I would spend our days in the woods behind my house. I had a special fort in a nook of a tree where I pretended to live among a fairy family. I would defend us all against the evil nettle plant by wacking them all down. I would run through the trails, my makeshift cape flowing behind me, my legs covered in scrapes, my hair wild and flop down in the middle of a small meadow and watch the tops of the trees sway.

That is what I knew about being a kid. I was a tomboy. When I found out I was pregnant, I assumed I would have boys since I was unsure on how to give a girl a "girly" childhood. Two girls later, you both are my best adventure partners. You bring me back to the wonders of childhood discovery. You are unlike me in that you both must always be wearing dresses, but that doesn't stop you from picking up bugs, climbing trees, getting dirty and running fast with scraped up shins (and snagging dresses).

I have dreamed of your childhood being the greatest adventure and since your dad and I just built our house on acreage, all the pieces to achieve that childhood are in place. With great luck, I have two very well dressed but willing explorers to see that dream come true. My favorite view is watching both of you emerge from the woods wet, muddy and happy.

Here you are on recent adventures at the beach.








No comments:

Post a Comment